LYJO: A Park with a Mission
WHAT WE DO
LBJ National Historic Park is located in Stonewall, Texas in the heart of hill country. We give people a walk through history with tours of the Texas White House and other buildings across his family's ranch. In addition, the ranch's cattle and recreation programs are still operated as it was when LBJ was president.
NPS MISSION Statment
....to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wild life therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations."
Me giving a tour of the Texas White House
What to Expect
- Expect to give historical tours of the Texas White House and surrounding properties (boyhood home, school, original birthplace). In addition, you will help with recreation programs held at the park, including BBQs, movie nights, and sponsor dinners. Be able to be social and interactive as an interpretive park ranger!
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Get in through your school or program; mine was the ProRanger program at TAMU, which I highly recommend.
Benefits and Opportunities:
The benefits will vary depending on your program, but most will be the same.
- I lived in the Cedar Guest House located on the LBJ Ranch. Housing was paid for through my program; all other interns' housing was paid for as well.
- Pay will vary, but probably range between six-seven hundred dollars every two weeks. The hours are a consistent 9-5 and overtime is compensated.
- The main perk is definitely living on the ranch and working in the most beautiful part of Texas. You can take walks at night, look at the stars, fish in the Pedernales River and relax after work. In addition, tourist destinations in Fredericksburg and Johnson City are just twenty miles away.
- You will personally meet all the leaders of the park as its staff is relatively small. Networking here is optimal.
- You will achieve a greater understanding of the National Park Service, develop strategic, public speaking skills and become a more well-rounded individual. Also, expect to learn more about ranching and the hard work required to run the park; the entire experience is very rewarding.